Journalist held for attempt to rape six-year-old girl in Maharashtra
Yavatmal: A 50-year-old journalist of a local vernacular daily was arrested for his alleged attempt to rape a six-year-old girl here, police said on Monday.
The accused, Pradeep Laxman Deshmukh, was caught yesterday by a youth from an isolated spot near Arni state transport bus stand while he was trying to rape the girl studying in first standard. The journalist was handed over to police by the youth and his friends, Arni police station official Girish Bobade said.
"The accused was in an inebriated condition and confessed to have committed the crime," he said.
A medical examination conducted on the victim at Yavatmal Medical College confirmed attempt to rape.
Pradeep works for a local Marathi daily and is married. He has an 18-year-old daughter and a 16-year-old son, Bobade said, adding that the accused happens to be the victim`s neighbour and often used to take her on his bicycle after promising her chocolates or other eatables.
The accused was produced today before a local court, which remanded him in magisterial custody, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional