Journalist held for attempt to rape six-year-old girl in Maharashtra
Yavatmal: A 50-year-old journalist of a local vernacular daily was arrested for his alleged attempt to rape a six-year-old girl here, police said on Monday.
The accused, Pradeep Laxman Deshmukh, was caught yesterday by a youth from an isolated spot near Arni state transport bus stand while he was trying to rape the girl studying in first standard. The journalist was handed over to police by the youth and his friends, Arni police station official Girish Bobade said.
"The accused was in an inebriated condition and confessed to have committed the crime," he said.
A medical examination conducted on the victim at Yavatmal Medical College confirmed attempt to rape.
Pradeep works for a local Marathi daily and is married. He has an 18-year-old daughter and a 16-year-old son, Bobade said, adding that the accused happens to be the victim`s neighbour and often used to take her on his bicycle after promising her chocolates or other eatables.
The accused was produced today before a local court, which remanded him in magisterial custody, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash