Journalists boycott Maha CM`s press briefing

Last Updated: Wednesday, February 9, 2011 - 21:49

Mumbai: Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar
on Wednesday met Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to explain his
stand over his recent remarks against journalists, which led
the scribes to boycott the post-cabinet press briefing earlier
in the day here.
"I have been misquoted. I did not say that curbs
should be imposed on the media," Ajit said and also submitted
a written explanation to Chavan on his remarks.



Journalists today did not attend the briefing by the
Chief Minister after the cabinet meeting.



The decision to boycott the briefing was taken at a
meeting of the Patrakar Halla Virodhi Kruti Samiti (Action
Committee Against Attacks on Journalists), minutes before the
briefing, which was to be held at 1 pm.



Requests by the Chief Minister`s office to the
journalists to attend the briefing were spurned as the scribes
insisted that they would not tolerate the `humiliation` meted
out to them by Pawar.



The briefing was then cancelled.
A delegation of journalists had recently met Chavan
and Governor K Sankaranarayanan, expressing objection to
Pawar`s remarks.



Samiti Convener S M Deshmukh alleged that it was
upon Pawar`s instigation that the police beat up some
journalists covering a rally at Nanded last week.



Deshmukh said the Samiti was firm on its demands that
Pawar must tender unconditional apology and the policemen, who
assaulted the journalists, should be suspended.



PTI



First Published: Wednesday, February 9, 2011 - 21:49

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus