Kalmadi announces `support` to Cong Pune LS poll nominee
Pune: Ending speculations about his possible candidature as an independent after being denied Congress ticket for Pune Lok Sabha seat, sitting MP Suresh Kalmadi, under cloud for his alleged involvement in the CWG scam, on Tuesday announced his "unconditional support" to official party candidate Vishwajeet Kadam.
"It gives me immense pleasure to announce my support to Congress candidate Kadam in the best interest of Pune`s future development," Kalmadi said in a statement issued here.
Kalmadi, who had publicly expressed his displeasure for being denied ticket for himself or his wife Meera, fuelling speculations of his entering the fray as an independent to checkmate official Congress candidate, said, "It was imperative for me to take a stand as MP elected many times from Pune."
The Congress leader, suspended from the party in April 2011 following his arrest in the CWG case, said he arrived at the decision to support Kadam after discussions he had with his supporters and various social groups in the best interest of development of Pune.
Listing his achievements and work done as MP for Pune, Kalmadi, who doubled as a controversial sports administrator, said, "I have an emotional attachment with Pune and I always strove to keep the city`s name high. I am indebted to Pune and will always remain available to people in future."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read