Kalmadi announces `support` to Cong Pune LS poll nominee
Pune: Ending speculations about his possible candidature as an independent after being denied Congress ticket for Pune Lok Sabha seat, sitting MP Suresh Kalmadi, under cloud for his alleged involvement in the CWG scam, on Tuesday announced his "unconditional support" to official party candidate Vishwajeet Kadam.
"It gives me immense pleasure to announce my support to Congress candidate Kadam in the best interest of Pune`s future development," Kalmadi said in a statement issued here.
Kalmadi, who had publicly expressed his displeasure for being denied ticket for himself or his wife Meera, fuelling speculations of his entering the fray as an independent to checkmate official Congress candidate, said, "It was imperative for me to take a stand as MP elected many times from Pune."
The Congress leader, suspended from the party in April 2011 following his arrest in the CWG case, said he arrived at the decision to support Kadam after discussions he had with his supporters and various social groups in the best interest of development of Pune.
Listing his achievements and work done as MP for Pune, Kalmadi, who doubled as a controversial sports administrator, said, "I have an emotional attachment with Pune and I always strove to keep the city`s name high. I am indebted to Pune and will always remain available to people in future."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged