Kalmadi faces protests from BJP, MNS in Pune
Pune: Suspended Congress MP Suresh Kalmadi, who is out on bail in a CWG scam case, was on Monday heckled by BJP and MNS activists during a visit to Pune Municipal Corporation building but he tried to put up a brave face saying he was "innocent".
Reacting to the noisy demonstration in front of the PMC building where he went to inaugurate a sports committee office, the 65-year-old Pune MP, who had walked out of Tihar Jail in January after being lodged there for nearly nine months, said he was "innocent and not guilty till proved guilty" and was not bothered by such protests.
BJP-MNS activists staged a vociferous protest waving black flags condemning Kalmadi for his alleged role in the CWG scam. The supporters of Kalmadi and police, however, intervened to clear his way towards the PMC building.
Kalmadi, who has ben suspended by the party, also held discussions with civic chief Mahesh Pathak on various problems plaguing his constituency, in what is seen as an effort to regain his lost political ground against the backdrop of the CWG scam.
The former CWG organising committee chief told reporters that he was not "bothered" by protest from any political parties.
"No one can stop me from engaging in developmental works for Pune, the city which has an important place on the world map," he said.
Claiming that the court had stated in his bail order that "no money trail has been found..(in CWG case)", Kalmadi said he entered the PMC building from the front gate and not from back entrance due to protest.
The Delhi High Court granted Kalmadi bail in January in a 2010 Games-related graft case.
In reply to a question, Kalmadi also reiterated that he would like to contest next Lok Sabha election from Pune, saying he would "never lower the prestige" of the city.
The MP said he was in touch with the Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on the issue of setting up a separate civil airport for Pune.
Meanwhile, spokespersons of BJP and MNS said that Kalmadi had no "moral right" to participate in public engagements in view of the corruption charges against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened