Kalmadi gets enthusiastic welcome in Pune
Pune: Suspended Congress leader and local MP
Suresh Kalmadi was on Saturday given an enthusiastic welcome by his
supporters when he arrived here this evening -- the first time
after being released on bail in the Commonwealth Games scam
His arrival coincided with the last day of withdrawal of
nominations for the civic elections, in which he could have
played a major role for Congress with the clout he had within
the party`s city unit, but for the taint of CWG corruption
Maharashtra Congress chief Manikrao Thakre has, however,
made it clear that the suspended leader would not be
participating in the Congress campaign.
Kalmadi`s supporters greeted him with slogans such as
`sabse bada khiladi, Suresh Kalmadi`, as he travelled some
distance in an open car from the airport, waving at the party
workers. He later visited the government-run Sassoon Hospital
to inquire about the injured victims of last month`s ST
Pune BJP chief Vikas Matkari condemned the welcome
accorded to Kalmadi, saying that it was against the "culture
of the city" to greet a person facing serious charges of
NCP spokesman Ankush Kakde said Kalmadi`s arrival would
not impact the outcome of civic polls, and the people would
take "right" decision while casting the vote.
Meanwhile, NCP president Sharad Pawar on Saturday urged the
voters here to give a clear majority to his party in the Pune
Municipal Corporation for a fast development of the city. At
present, NCP-Congress alliance is ruling the civic body, with
NCP as the single largest party, but the two parties are
contesting the coming election independently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!