Kalmadi visits Pune civic body, faces protest
Pune: Activists of BJP and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) staged a noisy protest in the premises of Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) on Monday when the scam-tainted Congress leader and city MP Suresh Kalmadi visited the civic body headquarters this morning.
Kalmadi, accused in the Commonwealth Games scam, is currently out on bail.
BJP and MNS workers waved black flags and tried to prevent Kalmadi from entering the building. But his supporters and police intervened to make way for him to enter through a side-gate.
The Municipal Corporation is controlled by NCP and Congress.
Kalmadi`s secretary said the MP was scheduled to open the sports committee office of the PMC, and later discuss local issues with Commissioner Mahesh Pathak.
A spokesman of the opposition parties said Kalmadi had lowered the prestige of Pune with his alleged involvement in the CWG scam, and had no moral right to participate in the civic matters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: List of World's 'most racially intolerant' countries
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'