Kalmadi visits Pune civic body, faces protest
Pune: Activists of BJP and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) staged a noisy protest in the premises of Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) on Monday when the scam-tainted Congress leader and city MP Suresh Kalmadi visited the civic body headquarters this morning.
Kalmadi, accused in the Commonwealth Games scam, is currently out on bail.
BJP and MNS workers waved black flags and tried to prevent Kalmadi from entering the building. But his supporters and police intervened to make way for him to enter through a side-gate.
The Municipal Corporation is controlled by NCP and Congress.
Kalmadi`s secretary said the MP was scheduled to open the sports committee office of the PMC, and later discuss local issues with Commissioner Mahesh Pathak.
A spokesman of the opposition parties said Kalmadi had lowered the prestige of Pune with his alleged involvement in the CWG scam, and had no moral right to participate in the civic matters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!