Kandivli land scam case: CBI takes over probe
Mumbai: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has taken over the probe into Maharashtra government’s decision to sell a land plot measuring over one acre, occupied
by the Army in suburban Kandivli here, to a private company.
The case is similar to the Adarsh Housing Society scam in which the Ministry of Defence had alleged that state government officials had in connivance with private persons handed over land, which was under Army’s possession. The Kandivli land scam too will look into the alleged role of Defence estate officials and state government officials.
"We got a reference from the Defence Ministry to probe the Kandivli land scam case. We have sought permission from the headquarters (Delhi) to register either preliminary
enquiry or FIR," a senior CBI official said.
The Army`s Southern command had sought a CBI probe into the case claiming that the sale of land to Neo Pharma Private Limited, a subsidiary of the Kalpataru group, by the state
government was illegal as the land was in possession of the Defence Ministry.
According to the Army, in June 2007, the government sold the land for Rs 5.94 crore despite objections by the Defence Ministry.
The land now houses the car park and recreation area of the 30-plus-storey Kalpatru Towers that has been built on an adjoining private plot.
According to the CBI official, the Ministry of Defence had ordered for a CBI probe after the Court of Inquiry set up by it indicted several Army officials including senior officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users