Kandivli land scam case: CBI takes over probe
Mumbai: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has taken over the probe into Maharashtra government’s decision to sell a land plot measuring over one acre, occupied
by the Army in suburban Kandivli here, to a private company.
The case is similar to the Adarsh Housing Society scam in which the Ministry of Defence had alleged that state government officials had in connivance with private persons handed over land, which was under Army’s possession. The Kandivli land scam too will look into the alleged role of Defence estate officials and state government officials.
"We got a reference from the Defence Ministry to probe the Kandivli land scam case. We have sought permission from the headquarters (Delhi) to register either preliminary
enquiry or FIR," a senior CBI official said.
The Army`s Southern command had sought a CBI probe into the case claiming that the sale of land to Neo Pharma Private Limited, a subsidiary of the Kalpataru group, by the state
government was illegal as the land was in possession of the Defence Ministry.
According to the Army, in June 2007, the government sold the land for Rs 5.94 crore despite objections by the Defence Ministry.
The land now houses the car park and recreation area of the 30-plus-storey Kalpatru Towers that has been built on an adjoining private plot.
According to the CBI official, the Ministry of Defence had ordered for a CBI probe after the Court of Inquiry set up by it indicted several Army officials including senior officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says