`Kannada meet won`t strengthen Karnataka`s claim on Belgaum`
Mumbai: Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray on Saturday warned the political class in neighbouring Karnataka not
to "provoke" the Maharashtrians, against the backdrop of
World Kannada Convention at Belgaum, and reports of repression
of Marathi-speakers living there.
Karnataka government can not bolster the state`s claim
over Belgaum merely through holding the Kannada Convention
there, an editorial in Sena mouthpiece `Samana`, edited by
Bal Thackeray, said today.
Belgaum, which has a sizable Marathi-speaking population,
has been a bone of contention ever since the two states came
"Is there a democracy or a Libyan dictator Gaddafi`s
rule?", the editorial asked today, referring to reports of
beating up of Marathi-speakers by Karnataka police.
"Marathi and Kannada languages are like twin sisters and
therefore we wish the World Kannada Meet well. However, the
Karnataka Government chose Belgaum as the venue purposely",
the editorial said.
Alleging that in the run-up to the event, the
Marathi-speakers in Belgaum faced atrocities at the hands of
Karnataka police, the editorial said the objective of the
Convention was not to promote Kannada language, but to
"provoke and crush" the Marathi-speakers.
The editorial also referred to Bollywood actor, Aishwarya
Rai, who has been invited to the Convention. "We do not oppose
Aishwarya attending the convention. We have no quarrel with
the Kannada language, but with the regime there which uses
force against Marathis.
We wish Aishwarya goes there as a Maharashtrian and
offers sympathy to Marathi-speakers there, but actors go to
such events not as a social duty, but as a part of deal," it
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read