Kasab destroyed GPS to hide Pak identity: Nikam
Mumbai: Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab
had destroyed a sophisticated Global Positioning System
equipment brought by him and nine others from Karachi prior to
the 26/11 attacks and dumped it in the sea to conceal the fact
that they had come from the neighbouring country, Government
Counsel Ujjwal Nikam told the Bombay High Court today.
Kasab, who is facing death sentence for his role in
the dastardly attacks, had revealed this to the trial court in
his guilt plea, Nikam told Justices Ranjana Desai and R V
Nikam said police had recovered five small GPS
instruments-- one each from Oberoi hotel, Nariman House,
Kuber boat (through which terrorists reached Mumbai) and two
from Hotel Taj Mahal where attackers killed many people.
The terrorists were carrying GPS instruments which
provided them maps of targets and displayed the route they had
taken from Karachi to Mumbai, the Government Counsel
However, the perpetrators were instructed by their
handlers to destroy the main GPS instrument before they
embarked on their mission to launch terror attacks.
Accordingly, Kasab destroyed the main GPS in Kuber boat and
threw it in the high sea, Nikam said.
An FBI witness had decodified in the trial court the
route maps shown in the GPS recovered by police, Nikam said,
adding Kasab had played the lead role in executing the
attacks. The GPS recovered from terrorists also displayed the
road maps of targets on the basis of which the attackers
reached their destination, Nikam argued.
Nikam further submitted that terrorists were in
constant touch with their handlers in Pakistan on mobile
phones and had made several calls from terror spots.
A total of 41 calls (8834 seconds) were made from Taj
Mahal hotel, 62 calls (15705 seconds) were made from
Oberoi-Trident and 181 calls (35,172 seconds) were made from
Nariman House, he said, adding the calls were intercepted by
police as per the provisions of Indian Telegraph Act.
The Court is hearing arguments of the State on
confirmation of death sentence imposed on Kasab. The appeals
of Kasab against his conviction and that of the state against
the two accused, who were acquitted by the trial court, are
yet to come up for hearing.
The trial court had acquitted Faheem Ansari and
Sabauddin Ahmed giving them the benefit of doubt.
Kasab today did not appear on screen put up for the
video conference link in the High Court. He was confined to
his cell at Arthur Road Central Prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves