Kasab executed, what about Afzal Guru, asks Modi
Ahmedabad: Soon after 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab`s execution, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today raised questions about the fate of 2001 Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru.
"What about Afzal Guru, who attacked Parliament, our temple of democracy, in 2001? That offence predates Kasab`s heinous act by many years," Modi tweeted.
Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the 26/11 attack, was hanged at the Yerawada Jail in Pune at 7.30 AM today.
Guru, whose mercy petition is pending with the President was sentenced to death much before in 2004.
The Home Ministry had recommended in August 2011, to then President Pratibha Patil that Guru, who has remained a death row prisoner in the Tihar Jail for the past seven years be swiftly executed. But the issue has been pending for years and has been a subject matter of intense political controversy.
Guru was convicted for conspiracy in the December 2001 Parliament attack and the order of his death penalty was upheld by the Supreme Court in 2004. The sentence was scheduled to be carried out on October 20, 2006. However, Guru?s execution was stayed following a mercy plea filed by his wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video