Khurshid was talking about development: Alvi
Mumbai: Coming out in support of Union Law
Minister Salman Khurshid on his controversial assurance to the
electorate in Uttar Pradesh on minority quota, Congress
spokesperson Rashid Alvi, on Monday, said the union law minister was
talking about developmental issues.
"Salman Khurshid is not talking about any religion. He is
rather talking of development," Alvi said, talking to
Khurshid had said during the UP campaign that Congress
would provide 9 per cent quota to minorities within the
existing 27 per cent OBC quota. While opposition BJP has
lambasted him for it, the election commission too has found
the statement objectionable.
Alvi, who is here for the campaign for the Mumbai
municipal corporation election, to be held on February 16 ,
alleged that the civic body, currently under the control of
Shiv Sena-BJP, had misused the funds given by the Centre.
"Despite being in power for over the last 16-17 years,
they could not develop the city," he said, adding that central
funds of Rs 26,000 crore were misused by the corporation.
This time, he said, the citizens of Mumbai would vote for
the development. "If we get the opportunity, we will
definitely change the face of Mumbai," he said.
When asked why senior Congress leaders from the state,
such as Vilasrao Deshmukh, Sushilkumar Shinde and Ashok Chavan
(all former Chief Ministers) were not campaigning for Mumbai
polls, Alvi refused to answer, saying it was "an internal
matter" of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’