Kin of Congress stalwarts Meghe, Rau in fray for Wardha primary
Nagpur: Kin of Congress heavyweight Datta Meghe and party`s veteran (late) Prabha Rau have emerged as major contenders for Lok Sabha ticket in Wardha primary scheduled on Sunday.
Sitting MP Datta Meghe`s son Sagar and former Rajasthan Governor Prabha Rau`s daughter Charulata Tokas are in the fray for the party ticket.
Wardha recently figured in the list of primaries at the expense of Yavatmal Lok Sabha constituency which was dropped along with Aurangabad, apparently due to factionalism in local units.
According to sources, senior Meghe is not keen to contest elections due to his age and wants to hand over the reins to Sagar, a former BJP MLC who had joined Congress under late Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh.
As far as Charulata is concerned, she has staked the claim for the seat on counts of loyalty and by virtue of being a former office-bearer of local body.
Both the aspirants had organised a couple of rallies for Congress in the district.
Under the primary concept piloted by Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi, nominees in 15 Lok Sabha constituencies across the country, will be chosen through primaries or inner party elections in a bid to strengthen "democracy" within his party.
The primary will be held between 9-11 AM tomorrow with Kunal Banerjee and R Raju acting as AICC observers for the process.
Accordingly, office-bearers of block and district Youth Congress, NSUI, Zilla Parishad and Municipal Council members of the party, Congress cells will vote to elect the consensus candidate, sources added.
As per the schedule announced recently by the Election Commission, Wardha will go to poll on April 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets