Kin of cop killed in accident get Rs 20 lakh compensation
Thane: The Thane Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) has awarded a compensation of around Rs 20 lakh to the family of a police officer, who was killed in a road accident in 2008.
The tribunal, presided by Judge A A Sayeed, earlier this week also ordered that out of the compensation amount of around Rs 20 lakh, the widow of the police officer and his son would get a share upon realisation of the amount with due interest.
Sub-inspector Nilamkumar Jadhav, attached with the Bazarpeth police station in Kalyan town of Thane, was killed in a road accident on Kalyan-Bhiwandi road at Kongaon on May 28, 2008, according to claimant`s counsel Pradeep Tillu.
According to the claimants, an iron bars laden truck was parked on the road with no signals and indicator flags, as a result of which the victim, who was driving his bike, rammed into the truck and sustained injuries. He later succumbed to them.
The applicants had filed the claim against Shiv Steel Rolling Miils of Dindori in Nashik, which owned the truck and the IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Co. Ltd, with which the truck was insured.
The applicants told the court that the police officer, who was just 49 years of age and drew a salary of Rs 15,500 per month, had good prospects in his job.
They said that the accident took place due to the negligence of the driver of the truck from which the iron rods were hanging out and later led to the death of the officer.
Hence, both the owner of the truck and the insurance company were liable to pay the compensation and they claimed a sum of Rs 20 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets