Kin of cop killed in accident get Rs 20 lakh compensation
Thane: The Thane Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) has awarded a compensation of around Rs 20 lakh to the family of a police officer, who was killed in a road accident in 2008.
The tribunal, presided by Judge A A Sayeed, earlier this week also ordered that out of the compensation amount of around Rs 20 lakh, the widow of the police officer and his son would get a share upon realisation of the amount with due interest.
Sub-inspector Nilamkumar Jadhav, attached with the Bazarpeth police station in Kalyan town of Thane, was killed in a road accident on Kalyan-Bhiwandi road at Kongaon on May 28, 2008, according to claimant`s counsel Pradeep Tillu.
According to the claimants, an iron bars laden truck was parked on the road with no signals and indicator flags, as a result of which the victim, who was driving his bike, rammed into the truck and sustained injuries. He later succumbed to them.
The applicants had filed the claim against Shiv Steel Rolling Miils of Dindori in Nashik, which owned the truck and the IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Co. Ltd, with which the truck was insured.
The applicants told the court that the police officer, who was just 49 years of age and drew a salary of Rs 15,500 per month, had good prospects in his job.
They said that the accident took place due to the negligence of the driver of the truck from which the iron rods were hanging out and later led to the death of the officer.
Hence, both the owner of the truck and the insurance company were liable to pay the compensation and they claimed a sum of Rs 20 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27