Kolhapur airport expansion to be delayed
Kolhapur: The proposed expansion of the
city airport is likely to be delayed due to land acquisition
The Civil Aviation Ministry has asked the Maharashtra
Government to acquire land for the project and pay for it.
Local MP Sadashiv Mandlik had written a letter to
Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel about land acquisition
for expansion of the airport in November last year.
In his reply, Patel sent a letter to Chief Minister
Ashok Chavan, with a copy to the MP, stating the state should
buy land and pay adequate compensation.
The district administration has identified 223
hectares to be bought from farmers at a cost of Rs 80 crore.
Airports Authority of India (AAI) owns the airport and
had given it to Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation
(MIDC) on a lease that expires in 2012. The project is getting
delayed on the question of who will pay the land cost.
The AAI says MIDC should acquire the land, but the
latter states it was not in a position to pay the cost.
The question of who should pay the land cost is
delaying the expansion, said Mandlik.
He said the representatives of Kolhapur district
should collectively push for the project and ensure that the
monetary problem was solved at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing