Kolhapur airport expansion to be delayed
Kolhapur: The proposed expansion of the
city airport is likely to be delayed due to land acquisition
The Civil Aviation Ministry has asked the Maharashtra
Government to acquire land for the project and pay for it.
Local MP Sadashiv Mandlik had written a letter to
Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel about land acquisition
for expansion of the airport in November last year.
In his reply, Patel sent a letter to Chief Minister
Ashok Chavan, with a copy to the MP, stating the state should
buy land and pay adequate compensation.
The district administration has identified 223
hectares to be bought from farmers at a cost of Rs 80 crore.
Airports Authority of India (AAI) owns the airport and
had given it to Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation
(MIDC) on a lease that expires in 2012. The project is getting
delayed on the question of who will pay the land cost.
The AAI says MIDC should acquire the land, but the
latter states it was not in a position to pay the cost.
The question of who should pay the land cost is
delaying the expansion, said Mandlik.
He said the representatives of Kolhapur district
should collectively push for the project and ensure that the
monetary problem was solved at the earliest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'