Kripa asset: Police to seek help from I-T, ED
Mumbai: The city police is likely to take
assistance of the Income Tax department and the Enforcement
Directorate for probe into the disproportionate assets case
involving senior Congress leader Kripashankar Singh, his
family members and aides.
"We may take the help of IT and ED departments during the
probe," a senior police official said on Wednesday.
An FIR under relevant sections of the Prevention of
Corruption Act and the IPC was registered against Singh at
Nirmal Nagar Police Station at suburban Bandra yesterday and
the matter is being investigated by Mumbai Police Commissioner
Arup Patnaik under the supervision of Bombay High Court.
Apart from Singh, his wife, son, daughter and son-in-law
besides one more family member along with others have been
booked under the IPC sections 120 B (criminal conspiracy), 201
(disappearance of evidence), 420 (cheating), 465 and 467
(forgery), and relevant sections of the Prevention of
The high court had on February 22 directed the city
police commissioner to prosecute Singh for "criminal
misconduct" under the Prevention of Corruption Act, while
hearing a PIL filed by activist Sanjay Tiwari who alleged that
the Congress MLA had amassed wealth disproportionate to his
known sources of income.
In the petition, Tiwari claimed that the former Mumbai
Pradesh Congress chief had been close to former Jharkhand
chief minister Madhu Koda, currently in jail for alleged
involvement in a multi-crore hawala scam. He alleged several
monetary transactions had taken place between them.
"Since Koda`s case had been thoroughly probed by the ED,
we would take their help on how to go about in this matter,"
said an official.
Singh`s son Narendra Mohan is married to Ankita, daughter
of Kamlesh Singh, who was a minister in the Koda cabinet and
is now in jail in connection with the hawala scam.
Ankita had received Rs 1.75 crore in her account from
Kamlesh, the PIL said, adding there were huge transactions
from the bank accounts of Kripashankar`s wife Malti Devi too.
Singh resigned as the Mumbai Congress chief citing the
party`s poor showing in the recently held civic elections on
the same day the High Court had asked the police to seek
sanction for his prosecution.
Koda has been accused of amassing illegal wealth worth
over Rs 1,340 crore in connivance with four of his close
associates including the chief executive of a Mumbai-based
Evidence against Koda was secured during countrywide
raids, including on the premises of his associates, by the ED
and the IT department in October 2009 which allegedly showed
huge illegal investments and hawala transactions during Koda`s
tenure as the chief minister.
Koda, arrested on November 30, 2009 and issued charge
sheet last March, is currently lodged in the Birsa Munda jail
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday