Kripashankar Singh quits as Mumbai Cong chief
New Delhi: Kripashankar Singh on Wednesday resigned
as Mumbai Congress chief, an announcement that was made by the
party hours after the Bombay High Court ordered his
prosecution under the Prevention of Corruption Act and
attachment of his immovable properties.
The former minister of state for home in Maharashtra, had
sent in his resignation last week after the party`s poor
showing in the civic elections, senior leader in charge of
party affairs in Maharashtra Mohan Prakash told reporters.
The resignation has been accepted and the party is
looking for a "new face" to succeed him, Prakash said.
The AICC had already hinted that Singh could be on his
way out in the wake of the defeat of the Congress-NCP alliance
at the hands of the Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI combine in the Mumbai
municipal corporation polls.
Earlier in the day, the high court asked Mumbai police to
seek sanction for prosecution of Singh under the Prevention of
Much before the polls, there were demands for the removal
of Singh following allegations of amassing property
disproportionate to his sources of income.
In the PIL, which has been treated as an FIR by the high
court, petitioner Sanjay Tiwari alleged that Singh had been
close to former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, currently
in jail for alleged involvement in a multi-crore hawala scam.
He alleged that several monetary transactions had taken place
"The assessment is still on," Prakash said when asked
whether any more heads are likely to roll in the wake of the
party`s poor showing in Mumbai and several other Municipal
Corporation and its less-than-expected performance in the
zila parishad polls.
Prakash, however, dismissed suggestions of resignation by
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan.
"It is a good thing that the chief minister has
campaigned all over the state and why are others troubled by
it. Why are others troubled with the chief minister
associating himself with the people in their good and bad
times," he wondered.
Chavan had turned the Mumbai polls into a UPA versus NDA
affair and made it a prestige issue by going in for an
alliance with the NCP despite reservations from several local
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference