Lakhan Bhaiya encounter: Brother moves HC against Sharma`s acquittal
Mumbai: The family of Ramnarayan Gupta alias Lakhan Bhaiyya, a suspected aide of Chhota Rajan, killed in a fake encounter in 2006, on Wednesday approached the Bombay High Court challenging the acquittal of encounter specialist Pradeep Sharma by a Sessions Court.
Ramnarayan`s advocate brother Ramprasad Gupta filed a petition in the high court, saying, "The Sessions Court order acquitting Sharma is erroneous under law. There is evidence against Sharma."
The Sessions Court had last month acquitted Sharma after observing that there is no direct or circumstantial evidence to show his involvement in the case.
The court, however, convicted 21 persons, including 13 policemen, and sentenced them to life imprisonment on charge of murder.
The lower court had termed the prosecution evidence against Sharma as "weak" to come to the conclusion that he had led the police team that carried out the encounter.
On November 11, 2006, a police team picked up Ramnarayan, along with his friend Anil Bheda, from Vashi in Navi Mumbai on the suspicion that he was a member of the Chhota Rajan gang, and shot him dead near Nana Nani Park in suburban Versova in Western Mumbai on the same evening.
According to prosecution, Bheda was initially detained at DN Nagar police station in Versova and was later shifted to Kolhapur. He was subsequently brought back to Mumbai and was detained for about a month.
Soon thereafter, Ramprasad Gupta moved the Bombay High Court, alleging that police had murdered his brother.
In February 2008, the high court ordered a magisterial inquiry which concluded that it was a "cold-blooded murder".
In September 2009, the HC constituted a Special Investigation Team to probe the case.
Pradeep Sharma had been arrested by SIT on January 8, 2010, along with 21 others for their involvement in Ramnarayan`s killing.
According to investigators, Ramnarayan was killed at the instance of Navi Mumbai-based builder Janardhan Bange alias Janya Sheth, who had got in touch with Sharma to have Ramnarayan eliminated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch