Land encroachment: HC asks Maha to file affidavit
Nagpur: A bench of Bombay High Court here
came down heavily on the Maharashtra government for delaying
action against encroachers, including a state minister, at
Bezonbaug in north city area.
A division bench of justices Bhushan Dharmadhikari and
Pramod Kode on Thursday directed the government to file an
affidavit regarding action taken to remove the encroachers
before August 1.
Animal Husbandry minister Nitin Raut is alleged to
have not only grabbed land, but also occupying three other
An 80.90-acre land originally belonging to now-defunct
Empress Mills was reserved for housing the Mill`s workers. The
land was later taken over by the state and the housing society
of workers came out with a plan layout for houses.
It is mandatory to earmark 15 per cent area of a plot
as open space and 5 per cent area marked as public utility. It
was this 20 per cent land that was encroached by Raut and
Earlier, an enquiry conducted by district collector on
the high court`s directive had revealed that the office
bearers of the society had illegally sold those plots.
Local residents made several complaints to the state
government but no cognisance was taken. Finally petitioners
had approached the court.
In July last year, the Nagpur bench of the high court
had directed the government to remove illegal encroachments
and hand over the land to Nagpur Municipal Corporation for
public utility purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi