Land encroachment: HC asks Maha to file affidavit
Nagpur: A bench of Bombay High Court here
came down heavily on the Maharashtra government for delaying
action against encroachers, including a state minister, at
Bezonbaug in north city area.
A division bench of justices Bhushan Dharmadhikari and
Pramod Kode on Thursday directed the government to file an
affidavit regarding action taken to remove the encroachers
before August 1.
Animal Husbandry minister Nitin Raut is alleged to
have not only grabbed land, but also occupying three other
An 80.90-acre land originally belonging to now-defunct
Empress Mills was reserved for housing the Mill`s workers. The
land was later taken over by the state and the housing society
of workers came out with a plan layout for houses.
It is mandatory to earmark 15 per cent area of a plot
as open space and 5 per cent area marked as public utility. It
was this 20 per cent land that was encroached by Raut and
Earlier, an enquiry conducted by district collector on
the high court`s directive had revealed that the office
bearers of the society had illegally sold those plots.
Local residents made several complaints to the state
government but no cognisance was taken. Finally petitioners
had approached the court.
In July last year, the Nagpur bench of the high court
had directed the government to remove illegal encroachments
and hand over the land to Nagpur Municipal Corporation for
public utility purpose.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata