Land scam: CBI registers case against retd Lt Gen
Mumbai: CBI has registered case against two
retired army officials including a Lt Gen and a private
builder for alleged cheating and criminal misconduct in
settling a land dispute matter out of court.
"A case has been registered against retired Lt Gen Nobel
Thamburaj, the then General Officer in Command, Pune Circle, S
R Nayyar, retired Defence Estate Officer, Pune Circle and
Kalpataru builders for criminal conspiracy, cheating and
criminal misconduct," CBI said in a statement here.
The case was registered following a complaint received
from the Defence Ministry to CBI.
According to the CBI, Gen Thamburaj and Nayyar had
allegedly shown undue favor to Pune-based Kalpataru builders
for a property measuring 0.96 acres in Defence Land at Pune
"There was a dispute going on regarding the property in
question. Thamburaj and Nayyar settled the matter out of court
in spite of several court orders given in favor of the army.
The duo indulged in gross misconduct," CBI said.
The two retired army officials ignored rules and
policies, violated the terms of lease entered into by the
Ministry of Defence and Kalpataru and caused the private
company pecuniary gains to the tune of Rs 46 crore, it said.
"Investigations are on to find out what the two accused
got in return of the undue favor shown by them to Kalpataru,"
Joint Director (Western Region) CBI, Rishiraj Singh said.
Searches were being conducted at the Pune residences of
Thamburaj and Nayyar and also at the office premises of
Kalpataru builders at Koregaon Park in Pune.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok