Laptop containing info on Wankhede, sea link stolen
Mumbai: Amid apprehensions about Wankhede
Stadium becoming a possible terror target during the cricket
World Cup, a laptop containing vital information about the
renovated stadium and Bandra-Worli Sea Link has been stolen,
setting off alarm bells in the police establishment.
A theft case was registered by Azad Maidan police
station on Monday morning after a window on the seventh floor
of PWD`s building in Fort in south Mumbai was found broken and
the laptop missing, said B L Bhavle, senior inspector at the
Recent media reports attributed to Intelligence
agencies have said that Wankhede Stadium, which is scheduled
to host three World Cup matches including the final, could
become the target of a terror attack during the event, while
the landmark Bandra-Worli Sea Link has been on the radar of
terror groups for quite some time.
Wankhede`s World Cup fixtures include New Zealand`s
matches against Canada and Sri Lanka on March 13 and 18,
besides the final on April 2.
Deputy Police Commissioner Cherring Dorje said that
the data stored in the laptop included those relating to the
two Mumbai landmarks. "Yes, there are (the data about the
stadium and the sea link), but the officials do have hard disk
in which all the details are safe. No data has been lost." He,
however, declined to divulge further details.
"It is a serious matter," said another police officer
on condition of anonymity, adding, "We are not looking at the
issue like any other theft case."
According to sources, the laptop also has details
about prisons in the city and various redevelopment projects
taken up by the government in the past five years.
Inspector Bhavle said the engineer, who handled the
laptop, had been questioned and his statement recorded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter