Lata Mangeshkar pleads in support of Campa Cola residents
Mumbai: Noted playback singer Lata Mangeshkar has come out in support of residents of the Campa Cola housing society whose illegally constructed flats are set to be razed, terming the move as "unjust".
"I want to say only one thing to the Maharashtra government with regards the Campa Cola compound. If the homes of these residents are razed, thousands of people will be rendered homeless, that includes children and senior citizens," the Bharat Ratna awardee tweeted.
Mangeshkar said that the residents should not be penalised for the wrong committed by the builders.
"Already 3 people have lost their lives due to a shock of their homes being razed. Why should the residents be made to pay for the mistakes committed by the builders? This is an injustice to them," the 84-year-old singer added.
The residents of the Campa Cola building face the threat of losing their homes after living there for years with the Supreme Court on Tuesday rejecting their plea seeking a stay on the demolition of their flats till the court decides on their curative petition, which is to come up for hearing next month.
The curative petition, quoting information received through RTI, says the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai and the state had decided to regularise the illegal construction in 1985.
As many as 102 illegal flats in the seven buildings of the society are to be razed by the MCGM.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!