Lata Mangeshkar pleads in support of Campa Cola residents
Mumbai: Noted playback singer Lata Mangeshkar has come out in support of residents of the Campa Cola housing society whose illegally constructed flats are set to be razed, terming the move as "unjust".
"I want to say only one thing to the Maharashtra government with regards the Campa Cola compound. If the homes of these residents are razed, thousands of people will be rendered homeless, that includes children and senior citizens," the Bharat Ratna awardee tweeted.
Mangeshkar said that the residents should not be penalised for the wrong committed by the builders.
"Already 3 people have lost their lives due to a shock of their homes being razed. Why should the residents be made to pay for the mistakes committed by the builders? This is an injustice to them," the 84-year-old singer added.
The residents of the Campa Cola building face the threat of losing their homes after living there for years with the Supreme Court on Tuesday rejecting their plea seeking a stay on the demolition of their flats till the court decides on their curative petition, which is to come up for hearing next month.
The curative petition, quoting information received through RTI, says the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai and the state had decided to regularise the illegal construction in 1985.
As many as 102 illegal flats in the seven buildings of the society are to be razed by the MCGM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt