Latur MLA alleges "harassment" by Assembly cops
Mumbai: Congress MLA from Latur, Vaijnath Shinde, Thursday staged a protest against the alleged "high-handed" attitude of policemen on security duty at the Assembly premises here.
"I had reached the main gate of Assembly and was passing through, when policemen on duty stopped me and behaved rudely with me," Shinde, who refused to budge from the venue, told reporters.
"This is not the way to treat a legislator. In the last three years I have never misused my privileges as an MLA to sidestep entry procedures," said Shinde, a supporter of Congress MLA Amit Deshmukh, son of late Vilasrao Deshmukh.
Assembly`s own security staff tried for a long time to convince Shinde to call of his impromptu "sit-in" protest but their pleas were ignored.
Shinde had defeated Ramesh Karad of the BJP by 23,583 votes during the 2009 elections from Latur rural Assembly constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa