Launch of sanitation drive in Wardha put off
Nagpur: A nationwide sanitation drive which was to be launched near here tomorrow in the presence of Union Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh has been put off indefinitely.
`Nirmal Bharat Yatra`, which aims to make the country free from open defecation, was to be launched from Sewagram Ashram in neighbouring Wardha district. Bollywood actor Vidya Balan, the brand ambassador of the campaign, was to attend the function.
Wardha experienced heavy downpour today prompting the organisers to cancel the programme, official sources said this evening.
Besides Ramesh and Balan, Maharashtra Ministers Laxmanrao Dhoble, Ranjeet Kamble and Rajendra Mulak were scheduled to attend the function.
The yatra was to cover five states spanning nearly 2,000km to spread awareness about sanitation, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon