Launch of sanitation drive in Wardha put off
Nagpur: A nationwide sanitation drive which was to be launched near here tomorrow in the presence of Union Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh has been put off indefinitely.
`Nirmal Bharat Yatra`, which aims to make the country free from open defecation, was to be launched from Sewagram Ashram in neighbouring Wardha district. Bollywood actor Vidya Balan, the brand ambassador of the campaign, was to attend the function.
Wardha experienced heavy downpour today prompting the organisers to cancel the programme, official sources said this evening.
Besides Ramesh and Balan, Maharashtra Ministers Laxmanrao Dhoble, Ranjeet Kamble and Rajendra Mulak were scheduled to attend the function.
The yatra was to cover five states spanning nearly 2,000km to spread awareness about sanitation, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Bodo outfits to restart statehood movement on August 30
- 92 paise insurance premium for train travellers from August 31
- Saina Nehwal drops four places to be no.9, status quo for PV Sindhu
- Mauritius to remain major FDI source till March 2019: Experts
- Abhinav Bindra to head NRAI review committee on Rio debacle