Launch of sanitation drive in Wardha put off
Nagpur: A nationwide sanitation drive which was to be launched near here tomorrow in the presence of Union Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh has been put off indefinitely.
`Nirmal Bharat Yatra`, which aims to make the country free from open defecation, was to be launched from Sewagram Ashram in neighbouring Wardha district. Bollywood actor Vidya Balan, the brand ambassador of the campaign, was to attend the function.
Wardha experienced heavy downpour today prompting the organisers to cancel the programme, official sources said this evening.
Besides Ramesh and Balan, Maharashtra Ministers Laxmanrao Dhoble, Ranjeet Kamble and Rajendra Mulak were scheduled to attend the function.
The yatra was to cover five states spanning nearly 2,000km to spread awareness about sanitation, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas