Launch of sanitation drive in Wardha put off
Nagpur: A nationwide sanitation drive which was to be launched near here tomorrow in the presence of Union Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh has been put off indefinitely.
`Nirmal Bharat Yatra`, which aims to make the country free from open defecation, was to be launched from Sewagram Ashram in neighbouring Wardha district. Bollywood actor Vidya Balan, the brand ambassador of the campaign, was to attend the function.
Wardha experienced heavy downpour today prompting the organisers to cancel the programme, official sources said this evening.
Besides Ramesh and Balan, Maharashtra Ministers Laxmanrao Dhoble, Ranjeet Kamble and Rajendra Mulak were scheduled to attend the function.
The yatra was to cover five states spanning nearly 2,000km to spread awareness about sanitation, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media