Launch of sanitation drive in Wardha put off
Nagpur: A nationwide sanitation drive which was to be launched near here tomorrow in the presence of Union Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh has been put off indefinitely.
`Nirmal Bharat Yatra`, which aims to make the country free from open defecation, was to be launched from Sewagram Ashram in neighbouring Wardha district. Bollywood actor Vidya Balan, the brand ambassador of the campaign, was to attend the function.
Wardha experienced heavy downpour today prompting the organisers to cancel the programme, official sources said this evening.
Besides Ramesh and Balan, Maharashtra Ministers Laxmanrao Dhoble, Ranjeet Kamble and Rajendra Mulak were scheduled to attend the function.
The yatra was to cover five states spanning nearly 2,000km to spread awareness about sanitation, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back