Lawyer accused of threatening witness gets pre-arrest bail
Mumbai: A lawyer, accused of threatening
a prosecution witness in the murder case of TV executive
Neeraj Grover, has obtained transit anticipatory bail from
Madhya Pradesh High Court, police said on Tuesday.
Advocates Raja Thakur and Murthy Acharya, who had
defended Kannada actress Maria Susairaj, prime accused in the
case, were booked by the city police for allegedly threatening
Usha Ramalu, a `panch` witness.
"Thakur obtained transit anticipatory bail from Madhya
Pradesh High Court. The order dated October 10 gives relief to
Thakur for 15 days. We cannot arrest him before October 25,"
Joint Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria said here.
Mumbai Crime Branch had first arrested two persons -
Raju Wankhede and Munshi Yadav - for allegedly threatening
Ramalu with dire consequences if she deposed against Susairaj.
Subsequently, Murthy was arrested and a manhunt was launched
Murthy, Wankhede and Yadav are out on bail.
According to the Crime Branch, Thakur made 40 phone
calls to Wankhede during the period when Ramalu was
Susairaj and her Naval officer-fiance Emile Jerome
Mathew had been accused of murdering Grover after an
altercation at her residence here in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read