Lawyer accused of threatening witness gets pre-arrest bail
Mumbai: A lawyer, accused of threatening
a prosecution witness in the murder case of TV executive
Neeraj Grover, has obtained transit anticipatory bail from
Madhya Pradesh High Court, police said on Tuesday.
Advocates Raja Thakur and Murthy Acharya, who had
defended Kannada actress Maria Susairaj, prime accused in the
case, were booked by the city police for allegedly threatening
Usha Ramalu, a `panch` witness.
"Thakur obtained transit anticipatory bail from Madhya
Pradesh High Court. The order dated October 10 gives relief to
Thakur for 15 days. We cannot arrest him before October 25,"
Joint Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria said here.
Mumbai Crime Branch had first arrested two persons -
Raju Wankhede and Munshi Yadav - for allegedly threatening
Ramalu with dire consequences if she deposed against Susairaj.
Subsequently, Murthy was arrested and a manhunt was launched
Murthy, Wankhede and Yadav are out on bail.
According to the Crime Branch, Thakur made 40 phone
calls to Wankhede during the period when Ramalu was
Susairaj and her Naval officer-fiance Emile Jerome
Mathew had been accused of murdering Grover after an
altercation at her residence here in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price