Lawyer murder: Watchman sent to police custody
Mumbai: A Mumbai magistrate court on Saturday remanded Sajjad Ahmed Mughal, the watchman accused in the murder of 25-year-old woman lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha to police custody till Aug 17.
Mughal allegedly killed Purkayastha early Thursday by slitting her throat in an apartment because she had rebuked him.
Mughal was presented before a magistrate court around noon, which remanded him to police custody till Aug 17, crime branch officials said.
Mumbai Police had claimed to solve the case Friday. They said that Purkayastha was murdered by Mughal and that it was a "premeditated act of perversion".
Police will question Mughal further and is also likely to book the security agency that employed him under the Security Agencies Regulation Act.
The Mumbai Police might also initiate the verification of such agencies.
According to police, Mughal confessed to having planned the murder and that he was waiting for the right moment to put it in action and he got the opportunity Wednesday night, when Purkayastha`s boyfriend and live-in partner did not come home till late in the night.
Purkayastha stayed with her boyfriend Avik Sengupta, also a lawyer, who found her murdered early Thursday.
Puryakastha, the daughter of Delhi-based Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Atanu Puryakastha, had had a tiff with Mughal over an issue in the society and rebuked him. In the early hours of Thursday, he allegedly slit her throat to seek revenge for his humiliation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC