Lawyer murder: Watchman sent to police custody
Mumbai: A Mumbai magistrate court on Saturday remanded Sajjad Ahmed Mughal, the watchman accused in the murder of 25-year-old woman lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha to police custody till Aug 17.
Mughal allegedly killed Purkayastha early Thursday by slitting her throat in an apartment because she had rebuked him.
Mughal was presented before a magistrate court around noon, which remanded him to police custody till Aug 17, crime branch officials said.
Mumbai Police had claimed to solve the case Friday. They said that Purkayastha was murdered by Mughal and that it was a "premeditated act of perversion".
Police will question Mughal further and is also likely to book the security agency that employed him under the Security Agencies Regulation Act.
The Mumbai Police might also initiate the verification of such agencies.
According to police, Mughal confessed to having planned the murder and that he was waiting for the right moment to put it in action and he got the opportunity Wednesday night, when Purkayastha`s boyfriend and live-in partner did not come home till late in the night.
Purkayastha stayed with her boyfriend Avik Sengupta, also a lawyer, who found her murdered early Thursday.
Puryakastha, the daughter of Delhi-based Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Atanu Puryakastha, had had a tiff with Mughal over an issue in the society and rebuked him. In the early hours of Thursday, he allegedly slit her throat to seek revenge for his humiliation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city