Lawyer murder: Watchman sent to police custody
Mumbai: A Mumbai magistrate court on Saturday remanded Sajjad Ahmed Mughal, the watchman accused in the murder of 25-year-old woman lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha to police custody till Aug 17.
Mughal allegedly killed Purkayastha early Thursday by slitting her throat in an apartment because she had rebuked him.
Mughal was presented before a magistrate court around noon, which remanded him to police custody till Aug 17, crime branch officials said.
Mumbai Police had claimed to solve the case Friday. They said that Purkayastha was murdered by Mughal and that it was a "premeditated act of perversion".
Police will question Mughal further and is also likely to book the security agency that employed him under the Security Agencies Regulation Act.
The Mumbai Police might also initiate the verification of such agencies.
According to police, Mughal confessed to having planned the murder and that he was waiting for the right moment to put it in action and he got the opportunity Wednesday night, when Purkayastha`s boyfriend and live-in partner did not come home till late in the night.
Purkayastha stayed with her boyfriend Avik Sengupta, also a lawyer, who found her murdered early Thursday.
Puryakastha, the daughter of Delhi-based Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Atanu Puryakastha, had had a tiff with Mughal over an issue in the society and rebuked him. In the early hours of Thursday, he allegedly slit her throat to seek revenge for his humiliation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari wants to succeed Roy Hodgson as new England manager
- Another jolt to BSP, senior party leader RK Chaudhary also accuses Mayawati of auctioning election ticket
- Gold price up Rs 100 at Rs 30,350 per ten grams; silver tops Rs 43k level
- Vadra should be prosecuted for alleged suicide, if it was assisted, of his father: Subramanian Swamy
- Sachin Tendulkar's latest tweet proves that wherever he goes, India follows - See pic inside!