Lawyer seeks NIA probe into German Bakery blast case
Mumbai: An advocate on Monday filed an application in the Bombay High Court alleging that Himayat Baig, the lone convict in the 2010 Pune German Bakery blast case, was falsely implicated and hence a fresh probe should be directed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
Advocate Firoz Ansari in his application has said that the state Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) has always picked up innocent men and implicated them in blast cases.
"The NIA should be asked to re-investigate the case in the light of the arrest of Indian Mujahideen member Yasin Bhatkal," Ansari said.
Ansari`s application is second such plea made before the court. Earlier journalist Ashish Khetan had too filed an application seeking the same relief. Both the applications were filed seeking to intervene in the appeal filed by Baig challenging the death penalty awarded to him and the death confirmation petition.
A division bench of Justices PV Hardas and PN Deshmukh today adjourned till October 29 the applications and Baig`s appeal and the death confirmation petition.
The court, however, asked both the interveners to show under law if they can be permitted to intervene in a death confirmation petition.
Meanwhile the jail authorities today sought permission to shift Baig to Yerwada prison. According to the authorities, there is not adequate measures at the Arthur Road prison where Baig is presently lodged.
The court said it would consider this on the next date of hearing.
On February 13, 2010 a bomb exploded inside the bakery killing 17 persons including five foreigners and injuring 58 others. In April this year, the sessions court in Pune awarded death penalty to Baig observing that it was a rarest of rare case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested