Lawyer seeks NIA probe into German Bakery blast case
Mumbai: An advocate on Monday filed an application in the Bombay High Court alleging that Himayat Baig, the lone convict in the 2010 Pune German Bakery blast case, was falsely implicated and hence a fresh probe should be directed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
Advocate Firoz Ansari in his application has said that the state Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) has always picked up innocent men and implicated them in blast cases.
"The NIA should be asked to re-investigate the case in the light of the arrest of Indian Mujahideen member Yasin Bhatkal," Ansari said.
Ansari`s application is second such plea made before the court. Earlier journalist Ashish Khetan had too filed an application seeking the same relief. Both the applications were filed seeking to intervene in the appeal filed by Baig challenging the death penalty awarded to him and the death confirmation petition.
A division bench of Justices PV Hardas and PN Deshmukh today adjourned till October 29 the applications and Baig`s appeal and the death confirmation petition.
The court, however, asked both the interveners to show under law if they can be permitted to intervene in a death confirmation petition.
Meanwhile the jail authorities today sought permission to shift Baig to Yerwada prison. According to the authorities, there is not adequate measures at the Arthur Road prison where Baig is presently lodged.
The court said it would consider this on the next date of hearing.
On February 13, 2010 a bomb exploded inside the bakery killing 17 persons including five foreigners and injuring 58 others. In April this year, the sessions court in Pune awarded death penalty to Baig observing that it was a rarest of rare case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali