Lawyer seeks NIA probe into German Bakery blast case
Mumbai: An advocate today filed an application in the Bombay High Court alleging that Himayat Baig, the lone convict in the 2010 Pune German Bakery blast case, was falsely implicated and hence a fresh probe should be directed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
Advocate Firoz Ansari in his application has said that the state Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) has always picked up innocent men and implicated them in blast cases.
"The NIA should be asked to re-investigate the case in the light of the arrest of Indian Mujahideen member Yasin Bhatkal," Ansari said.
Ansari`s application is second such plea made before the court. Earlier journalist Ashish Khetan had too filed an application seeking the same relief. Both the applications were filed seeking to intervene in the appeal filed by Baig challenging the death penalty awarded to him and the death confirmation petition.
A division bench of Justices P V Hardas and P N Deshmukh today adjourned till October 29 the applications and Baig`s appeal and the death confirmation petition.
The court, however, asked both the intervenors to show under law if they can be permitted to intervene in a death confirmation petition.
Meanwhile the jail authorities today sought permission to shift Baig to Yerwada prison. According to the authorities, there is no adequate measures at the Arthur Road prison where Baig is presently lodged.
The court said it would consider this on the next date of hearing.
On February 13, 2010 a bomb exploded inside the bakery killing 17 persons including five foreigners and injuring 58 others. In April this year, the sessions court in Pune awarded death penalty to Baig observing that it was a rarest of rare case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!