Lawyer seeks NIA probe into German Bakery blast case
Mumbai: An advocate today filed an application in the Bombay High Court alleging that Himayat Baig, the lone convict in the 2010 Pune German Bakery blast case, was falsely implicated and hence a fresh probe should be directed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
Advocate Firoz Ansari in his application has said that the state Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) has always picked up innocent men and implicated them in blast cases.
"The NIA should be asked to re-investigate the case in the light of the arrest of Indian Mujahideen member Yasin Bhatkal," Ansari said.
Ansari`s application is second such plea made before the court. Earlier journalist Ashish Khetan had too filed an application seeking the same relief. Both the applications were filed seeking to intervene in the appeal filed by Baig challenging the death penalty awarded to him and the death confirmation petition.
A division bench of Justices P V Hardas and P N Deshmukh today adjourned till October 29 the applications and Baig`s appeal and the death confirmation petition.
The court, however, asked both the intervenors to show under law if they can be permitted to intervene in a death confirmation petition.
Meanwhile the jail authorities today sought permission to shift Baig to Yerwada prison. According to the authorities, there is no adequate measures at the Arthur Road prison where Baig is presently lodged.
The court said it would consider this on the next date of hearing.
On February 13, 2010 a bomb exploded inside the bakery killing 17 persons including five foreigners and injuring 58 others. In April this year, the sessions court in Pune awarded death penalty to Baig observing that it was a rarest of rare case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends