Legislative Council defeat: Maha Cong forms fact-finding teams
Mumbai: Taking a serious note of the party`s defeat in two out of three local bodies in the recently held Maharashtra Legislative Council polls, the state Congress committee on Wednesday appointed fact-finding teams to probe the causes behind the setback.
Congress lost Chandrapur and Amravati local seats in the biennial elections held on May 25 for six seats altogether and could retain only the Latur local bodies seat in which Dilip Deshmukh, younger brother of Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, was re-elected for the third time.
As per the mandate given to them by the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC), party leaders Balasaheb Shivarkar and Sharad Aher will go to Chandrapur, while Bhaskar Patil Khatgaonkar and Basavraj Patil Nagralkar to Amravati.
"They are asked to submit their reports by June 5," MPCC spokesman Sachin Sawant said.
The two teams will interact with local units and workers to inquire into what went wrong when Congress could have won both the seats with the support of NCP and Independents.
The legislative council elections for Amravati, Parbhani, Chandrapur, Latur, Nashik and Raigad seats were held on May 25.
While Congress lost Amravati and Chandrapur seats, its alliance partner NCP won all the three seats (Nashik, Parbhani and Raigad) it had contested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand