Let Thackerays move around sans security: Nirupam
Mumbai: Irked over Shiv Sena`s tirade
against him over his remarks on north Indians in Mumbai,
Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam on Thursday dared the Thackerays to move
around without any security cover.
"I challenge those who say things against me. Let the
three Thackerays move about without security," Nirupam said,
without naming Sena leaders Uddhav, his son Aditya and MNS
chief Raj Thackeray.
However, Nirupam `excluded` Sena chief Bal Thackeray,
saying, "I have respect for Balasahab...there is a different
place for him in my mind."
"A disinformation campaign is on against me for political
benefits," he said, after the Sena, following his recent
statement on north Indian migrants, threatened the "north
Indian leader" that he might find it difficult to continue
living in Mumbai.
"I have never sought any security cover. Today, I called
the police commissioner and asked him to withdraw my
security," Nirupam said.
On his controversial remarks, Nirupam said, "I merely
stated that the lifeline of Mumbai is in the hands of north
Indians, be it vegetable vendors, auto and taxi drivers or
panwallahs. I said that if these people decide to take a day
off, Mumbai will come to a standstill. I never gave a call for
Nirupam reminded that Chhatrapati Shivaji was coronated
at the hands of north Indian brahmins.
Earlier, Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray had
said, "I dare Nirupam to shut down Mumbai and the Marathi
people here... We will smash his teeth."
Sena had taken the war of words on to the streets,
blackening posters of Nirupam. Congress workers also
retaliated, damaging Uddhav`s posters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption