LeT trained 13/7 blasts accused in Pak: ATS
Mumbai: Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) on Friday claimed that Indian Mujahideen (IM) operatives, who were behind the 13/7 serial blasts in Mumbai, were trained in Pakistan by Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT).
According to reports, Haroon Naik, who was arrested in connection with the Mumbai serial blasts, told ATS that he had undergone rigorous terror training with IM founder Yasin Bhatkal in Pakistan.
Terming the arrested Naik as "a very, very important member of Indian Mujahideen", Maharashtra ATS said he had fought alongside al Qaeda in Afghanistan against "enemies" in the name of jihad.
The Anti-Terrorism Squad was on Wednesday granted custody of jailed IM operative Naik in the blasts case as he was suspected of having participated in the conspiracy and
provided financial aid to carry out the terror strikes last year that claimed 27 lives.
The 35-year-old Naik, who is in the "upper ranks" of the home-grown terror outfit, had been earlier nabbed from the Mumbai international airport on charges of possessing fake
currency notes on August 22 last year and since then was lodged in jail, ATS chief Rakesh Maria said.
Naik had undergone trainings called "Daura-E-Aam" and "Daura-E-Khas" in 2001 at terror camps of Lashkar-e-Toiba at Bahawalpur in Pakistan. Naik had sneaked into Pakistan in the
late 2000, Maria said.
As he volunteered to fight for jihad along with al Qaeda,
Naik was imparted additional 15 days advanced training called
"Bait-E-Rizan" in Pakistan and fought against "enemies"
including Northern Alliance in Kandhahar in 2001, he said.
The Northern Alliance, was a military-political organisation that united all ethnic groups of Afghanistan
fighting against the Afghan Taliban backed by al Qaeda.
Naik further informed ATS officials that Bhatkal had even sent Rs 10 lakh to him in March last year to carry out the bombings, in which at least 25 people were killed.
Meanwhile, the investigating agency has also arrested two hawala operators from Ghaziabad for their role in channelizing the hawala money used to engineer the triple explosions.
The ATS further claims that amount was used by Bhatkal to carry out the blasts on July 13, 2011 at three locations - Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House in south Mumbai and at Dadar in central Mumbai.
Seeking extension, ATS told the court that it wanted to investigate the source of the explosives and various other materials that were used in triggering the triple explosions.
Naik was arrested for his role in the Opera House blast.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow