Life imprisonment for the accused in rape case
Pune: Sessions court on Friday sentenced
three persons to life imprisonment in the Hinjewadi gang-rape
The order was pronounced by Additional Session Judge W K
Sangle, who had convicted the three accused, namely, Subhash
Hiralal Bhosale, Ganesh Uttam Kambale and Ranjit Shahaji Gade,
on October 19.
The victim, an MBA graduate, was gang-raped by the
accused near Information Technology Park at Mankar Chauk in
Wakad, on the outskirts of Pune on April 1, 2010, after she
accepted a lift in their car.
The incident highlighted the lack of security for women
working in the Hinjewadi area, where several IT companies are
located. The issue was raised in the legislative assembly too.
Advocate Ujjwal Nikam, who had been appointed as the
special public prosecutor in the case, had sought maximum
punishment for the accused, for committing an offence which he
said was "worse than the murder".
"The honour of the rape-victim is lost and can never be
recovered," he had said.
"This judgement will make citizens feel secure," said
Nandkishor Bhosale-Patil, senior Police Inspector of Hinjewadi
Police station, who had probed the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal