Life imprisonment for the accused in rape case
Pune: Sessions court on Friday sentenced
three persons to life imprisonment in the Hinjewadi gang-rape
The order was pronounced by Additional Session Judge W K
Sangle, who had convicted the three accused, namely, Subhash
Hiralal Bhosale, Ganesh Uttam Kambale and Ranjit Shahaji Gade,
on October 19.
The victim, an MBA graduate, was gang-raped by the
accused near Information Technology Park at Mankar Chauk in
Wakad, on the outskirts of Pune on April 1, 2010, after she
accepted a lift in their car.
The incident highlighted the lack of security for women
working in the Hinjewadi area, where several IT companies are
located. The issue was raised in the legislative assembly too.
Advocate Ujjwal Nikam, who had been appointed as the
special public prosecutor in the case, had sought maximum
punishment for the accused, for committing an offence which he
said was "worse than the murder".
"The honour of the rape-victim is lost and can never be
recovered," he had said.
"This judgement will make citizens feel secure," said
Nandkishor Bhosale-Patil, senior Police Inspector of Hinjewadi
Police station, who had probed the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31