Limit scribes, artists to one govt flat in Mumbai`
Mumbai: Objecting to allotment of more than one flat to artists and journalists, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar has stressed that people doing menial jobs should also get houses of their own in Mumbai.
Asking Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to enact a law which would restrict artists, journalists and sportsmen to have only one flat in their name, he said, `Mathadi` (who carry loads on their head) workers should also get flats in the city.
"Enact a law through which a person can get one flat only. Artists, sportsmen and journalists should get, but only one house," he said.
"People belonging to middle class, economically weaker sections and those involved in menial works in Mumbai should get flats. MHADA and CIDCO are making every effort to provide houses to these people," he said.
Artists and journalists "grab opportunity" to acquire flats after a new Chief Minister takes charge, he alleged.
"If a new Chief Minister takes charge, then these people once again apply for flats. Some of them have 5-7 apartments acquired in the name of relatives," Pawar claimed, while speaking at the Yashwant co-operative programme here last evening.
While some people are benefited from government`s largesse, there are those who don`t have even a single flat here, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security