Limit scribes, artists to one govt flat in Mumbai`
Mumbai: Objecting to allotment of more than one flat to artists and journalists, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar has stressed that people doing menial jobs should also get houses of their own in Mumbai.
Asking Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to enact a law which would restrict artists, journalists and sportsmen to have only one flat in their name, he said, `Mathadi` (who carry loads on their head) workers should also get flats in the city.
"Enact a law through which a person can get one flat only. Artists, sportsmen and journalists should get, but only one house," he said.
"People belonging to middle class, economically weaker sections and those involved in menial works in Mumbai should get flats. MHADA and CIDCO are making every effort to provide houses to these people," he said.
Artists and journalists "grab opportunity" to acquire flats after a new Chief Minister takes charge, he alleged.
"If a new Chief Minister takes charge, then these people once again apply for flats. Some of them have 5-7 apartments acquired in the name of relatives," Pawar claimed, while speaking at the Yashwant co-operative programme here last evening.
While some people are benefited from government`s largesse, there are those who don`t have even a single flat here, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video