Little response to NDA`s Bharat Bandh in Mumbai
Mumbai: The nation-wide bandh called by the BJP-led NDA and other Opposition parties to protest fuel hike and FDI in retail evoked little response in the metropolis on Thursday owing to Ganesh festivities across Maharashtra.
The Shiv Sena and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) have kept away from the day-long bandh due to the festival.
BJP leaders including Deputy Leader in Lok Sabha Gopinath Munde and Leader of Opposition in Maharashtra Legislative Council Vinod Tawade will take to the streets later in the day to oppose Government`s new reform measures.
Last week, the government had hiked the price of diesel by Rs. 5 per litre, capped the supply of subsidised liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinders to six per household and cleared 51 per cent Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail.
Taxis, auto rickshaws and BEST buses were seen plying on the roads since morning even though few have stayed away fearing violence. Trains are also running on schedule both on Central and Western line.
Commercial establishments and markets in the city are expected to open later in the day. The immersion of Ganesh idols installed for a day-and-a half in homes across the state will take place this evening.
Police have stepped up bandobast in the city and suburbs to ward of any untoward incident.
Meanwhile, apex transporters` body All India Motor Transport Congress is also on a 24-hour token strike against diesel price hike, demanding a rollback.
"All the trucks are off the roads since midnight and the strike is complete," claimed AIMTC President Malkit Singh.
Of the 75 lakh trucks across the country, Maharashtra alone accounts for 23 lakhs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report