Local farmers to protest against DFC project
Thane: The proposed Dedicated Freight corridor (DFC) project between Baroda and Mumbai has got a stiff opposition from local farmers in the district, who have organised a `rasta roko` on Thursday, sources said.
The protests would be held at Ambadi here on Thursday at 11.00 am.
The villagers have formed an all-party action committee to opposed the project.
President of the committee Krishna Bhoir said thousands of farmers in the district will be affected as their land will be acquired for the DFC project.
"Sixty per cent of the road passes through the forest area and lakhs of trees will be chopped off for the project. We fear that several farmers will loose their land in the project," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand