Local farmers to protest against DFC project
Thane: The proposed Dedicated Freight corridor (DFC) project between Baroda and Mumbai has got a stiff opposition from local farmers in the district, who have organised a `rasta roko` on Thursday, sources said.
The protests would be held at Ambadi here on Thursday at 11.00 am.
The villagers have formed an all-party action committee to opposed the project.
President of the committee Krishna Bhoir said thousands of farmers in the district will be affected as their land will be acquired for the DFC project.
"Sixty per cent of the road passes through the forest area and lakhs of trees will be chopped off for the project. We fear that several farmers will loose their land in the project," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outline solutions, don't become roadblock to progressive democracy: BJP tells Mamata
- After Virat Kohli, time for Anil Kumble to work with MS Dhoni - Here's what Jumbo said..
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi raps Kerala for its policy on stray dogs
- RSS distributed sweets on the day Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated: Congress
- Remember Parul Chauhan aka Ragini from 'Bidaai'? Her latest pictures will make your jaw drop!