Local farmers to protest against DFC project
Thane: The proposed Dedicated Freight corridor (DFC) project between Baroda and Mumbai has got a stiff opposition from local farmers in the district, who have organised a `rasta roko` on Thursday, sources said.
The protests would be held at Ambadi here on Thursday at 11.00 am.
The villagers have formed an all-party action committee to opposed the project.
President of the committee Krishna Bhoir said thousands of farmers in the district will be affected as their land will be acquired for the DFC project.
"Sixty per cent of the road passes through the forest area and lakhs of trees will be chopped off for the project. We fear that several farmers will loose their land in the project," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery