Lok Sabha polls: Congress` list to clear picture in Vidarbha region
Nagpur: Even as the BJP and NCP have declared their first list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections, the poll scenario is still unclear as Congress has yet to come out with candidates` list for the 10 seats in Vidarbha region.
The BJP, NCP and AAP released their first list covering most of the seats in the backward region of Maharashtra. The political activity has been gaining momentum with the three parties declaring nominees from some constituencies of the region.
Though Congress is yet to announce its candidates, most of nominees are likely to be known faces but an official list will only clear the picture, political sources said.
The names so far announced by parties include most high profile candidates, including former BJP national president Nitin Gadkari and Union Heavy Industries Minister Praful Patel, while NCP`s Navnit Kaur Rana (Amravati) and Krishnarao Ingle (Buldhana) are the surprise nominees.
Sitting BJP MLA Nana Patole, who gave a tough time to Patel in previous Lok Sabha election, figures in the first list of BJP candidates which was on the expected lines.
Patole and tribal leader Ashok Nete, who had unsuccessfully contested 2009 elections, have been renominated.
BJP will also be fielding sitting MPs Sanjay Dhotre (Akola) and veteran leader Hansraj Ahir (Chandrapur).
Sources said NCP`s move to nominate Navneet Rana (Amravati) could be a risk. The decision on Amravati seat (SC) is largely being seen as NCP leaving its alliance partner RPI (Gavai) in a lurch.
The move could have far-reaching repercussions all over the state since Dalit voters may feel let down by Sharad Pawar`s party. This is more so as it ends the long-standing tie-up between RPI(G) and NCP, sources said.
Navneet is wife of Badnera Independent MLA Ravi Rana and belongs to the Scheduled Caste community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre