`Lord Krishna` held under anti-superstition law
Mumbai: A 26-year-old man was arrested on Sunday for allegedly cheating a woman for the past two years by claiming to be an avatar of Lord Sri Krishna.
This is the first case in the city in which a person has been booked under the newly formed Anti-Superstition and Black Magic ordinance. The police have also alleged that the person had molested her teenage daughter.
The arrested person has been identified as Manan Dave, a B Com graduate who had dropped out in the second year of LLB.
According to senior police inspector Anand Koli of Charkop police station, the 45-year old complainant lives with her husband and 18-year-old daughter at Charkop in Kandivli. Dave, who stays in the same locality, is a lawyer’s son. Two years ago, the complainant’s husband met Dave during a religious meeting.
Dave claimed to be Krishna’s avatar who possessed divine powers.
“Dave had been visiting the woman’s home regularly between 8am and 10pm. During this period, he told the family that there are several hindrances in their home. He also gave the family a set of diet rules. Dave also made the complainant sell her gold for Rs8lakh and took the money,” said Koli.
He added during this period he also allegedly molested the complainant’s daughter on several occasions.
“When this incident came to the woman’s notice, she lodged a complaint with the police. We have booked and arrested Dave on charges of cheating, molestation under Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act and Anti-Superstition Act. He was produced in a local court on Sunday which remanded him to police custody till September 12,” said Koli.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars