Low intensity blast in Pune; one hurt
Pune: A minor explosion has took place at Laxmi Tara Complex at Dangee Chowk near Pimpri-Chinchwad industrial township here in Pune on Friday evening.
According to reports, the incident took place on the staircase of a residential building, Laxmi Tara, at around 4pm and a five-year-old boy was injured. Bomb disposal squad teams have reached the explosion site to investigate nature of the explosion.
The injured boy, Piyush Walunje, has been admitted to a local hospital with severe burn injuries, police said.
"Terror attack or sabotage angle" has been ruled out by Pune police which said that situation is under control.
The blast was apparently caused by a short circuit, triggering panic in the city.Though the exact cause is being investigated, police suspect it could have been caused by sparks in electrical wires, pieces of which were found at the spot.
Police stressed that citizens in Pune should not panic as the blast was of low intensity.
"It was a small explosion. There was a high tension wire going through the area which apparently short-circuited," Joint Commissioner of Police S K Singhal said.
He also told a news channel, "One small child is injured. We are trying to investigate. It is not clear how the blast occurred. It`s of a low intensity. Citizens should not panic."
Singhal said police were investigating the case and the authorities were already on high alert in the city.
Asking people not to believe in rumours, Singhal said that they should immediate seek clarification from police control room in case of any doubt.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal