Low intensity blast in Pune; one hurt
Pune: A minor explosion has took place at Laxmi Tara Complex at Dangee Chowk near Pimpri-Chinchwad industrial township here in Pune on Friday evening.
According to reports, the incident took place on the staircase of a residential building, Laxmi Tara, at around 4pm and a five-year-old boy was injured. Bomb disposal squad teams have reached the explosion site to investigate nature of the explosion.
The injured boy, Piyush Walunje, has been admitted to a local hospital with severe burn injuries, police said.
"Terror attack or sabotage angle" has been ruled out by Pune police which said that situation is under control.
The blast was apparently caused by a short circuit, triggering panic in the city.Though the exact cause is being investigated, police suspect it could have been caused by sparks in electrical wires, pieces of which were found at the spot.
Police stressed that citizens in Pune should not panic as the blast was of low intensity.
"It was a small explosion. There was a high tension wire going through the area which apparently short-circuited," Joint Commissioner of Police S K Singhal said.
He also told a news channel, "One small child is injured. We are trying to investigate. It is not clear how the blast occurred. It`s of a low intensity. Citizens should not panic."
Singhal said police were investigating the case and the authorities were already on high alert in the city.
Asking people not to believe in rumours, Singhal said that they should immediate seek clarification from police control room in case of any doubt.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state