Low internet literacy even in urban India: Report
Mumbai: Union Minister of State for
Information Technology Sachin Pilot has promised that a "21st
century" infrastructure would be set up for high speed
broadband access; while a report that he released expresses
concerns about "low internet literacy" even in urban areas.
Pilot released the report `Innovation In Telecom` by
PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC) here yesterday. He did not give
any time-frame for ushering in "21st century" infrastructure,
nor did he comment on the report.
PwC report says that "even in the urban regions, Internet
literacy is quite low, and so is the usage. It will take a
generation for data usage to pick up.... Non-voice services,
including value added services and SMS form just five to 15
per cent of total operator revenues, which goes to over 50 per
cent for operators in major countries. The number for mobile
data would be still lower."
Rural teledensity has still not reached the targets and
the Universal Service Obligation (USO) Fund created for the
telecom industry has not been utilised adequately, it said.
Most product innovations still originate from the Western
economies while Indian companies seem to be content adopting
them. One of the reasons is lack of proper research
infrastructure, education and investment, the report adds.
"Talent is one drawback we severely face in India. While
India produces twice as many engineering graduates as the
United States, only less than five per cent have basic
vocational skills essential for fruitful employment," it said.
"Only about 25 per cent graduates in India have the skills
that deem them fit to work for multinational companies. This
is because most institutes in India are built with the idea of
meeting the demand for graduate education, focused on
enrolling as many students as possible," the report added.
The report also expresses concern about the anxiety among
telecom sector investors about clarity in telecom policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt