Madras HC comes to rescue of Muslim girl
Madurai: The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court has ruled that a young Muslim girl cannot be branded by the Jamath as an "illegitimate" child because her father had married two sisters one after the other despite a specific prohibition under the Mohammedan law, which permitted marrying another woman only after `talaq`.
Dismissing a civil revision petition filed by the Nagercoil Jamath president, Justice S Palanivelu said the act committed by the girl’s father was a curable irregularity and therefore the children born out of such marriage could not be called as illegitimate.
A Sohail Ahmed (name changed) was a member of the Mahan Tulkasha Olliyullah Darga Vadaseri Kuthba Pallivasal at Nagercoil in Kanyakumari district. He married two sisters and lived with both them. He had five children through the first wife and two daughters through her sister.
In 1997, he filed a civil suit before the Principal Munsif Court at Nagercoil challenging his extermination from the Jamath. Even as the case was pending, a compromise was reached between him and the new office bearers of the Jamath in May 2006.
In February this year, he applied for a No Objection Certificate from the Jamath to give the girl born out of his second marriage to a groom based in Chennai. But the Jamath?s president refused to issue the NOC, a pre-requisite for conducting Muslim marriages.
The judge directed the Jamath to issue a NOC forthwith to Ahmed so that he could conduct her marriage without any hitch in the lawful capacity of being her father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note