Madrasa modernisation: Shiv Sena imposes terms for granting nod
Mumbai: Shiv Sena, which has been critical of Maharashtra government`s decision to fund modernisation of madrasas, Wednesday, sought imposition of certain conditions for these Islamic seminaries benefiting from the government funds.
"The students in these madrasas should be asked to sing national anthem, there should be big maps of Maharashtra and India displayed there.
"The teachers at these madrasas should give an undertaking that India`s Constitution and history of the country`s freedom struggle will be taught there," Sena leader Diwakar Raote said, in a letter to chief minister Prithviraj Chavan.
Raote demanded that displaying photos of the President, PM, Chhatrapati Shivaji, Mahatma Gandhi, B R Ambedkar and Maulana Azad be made mandatory in these madrasas.
The decision to modernise madrasas was taken during a state cabinet meeting last week wherein it was decided that for the year 2013-14, the government will give Rs 10 crore to 200 madrasas all across the state.
This money will be spent for the construction of school buildings, modern toilets within the madrasa premises and availability of potable drinking water.
The government has stipulated that concerned madrasas should be registered with the Charity Commissioner and should have completed at least three years of functioning.
In Maharashtra, there are a total of 1,889 madrasas all across the state, in which 1,45,995 students are enrolled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations