Madrassas allocation move politically motivated: Raj Thackeray
Nashik: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray on Wednesday termed as "politically motivated" the state government`s decision approving allocation of funds for modernisation of madrassas (Islamic seminaries) in the state.
In a major decision ahead of the assembly elections, Maharashtra Cabinet has approved a proposal by the Minorities department for allocation of Rs 10 crore to modernise madrassas.
"This decision is taken with an eye on forthcoming assembly and general elections...This is an old trick of Congress (to announce doles ahead of elections). However, Muslim community is well aware of the state`s motive to derive political mileage...Congress has lost its credibility," Raj told reporters here.
He was addressing media on the sidelines of a function here to felicitate 12 corporators of his party who got elected in recently held Jalgaon Municipal Corporation election.
Khandesh Vikas Aghadi (KVA), the political outfit formed by former minister and Shiv Sena MLA Suresh Jain, has bagged 33 seats out of total 75 in JMC.
KVA needs five more seats to reach the magic figure of 38 amid speculations that MNS may lend its support to Jain, who is currently in judicial custody in connection with an alleged housing scam.
MNS chief evaded direct reply to the question whether his party would throw its weight behind KVA.
According to Maharashtra government, the decision to allocate funds was taken keeping with the Justice Sachar Committee`s recommendation to bring those studying in madrassas into the mainstream.
Around two lakh students study in madrassas in the state, which has about 3,000 such seminaries.
This year, 200 madrassas will be provided financial assistance, Minorities Development Minister Naseem Khan told reporters in Mumbai earlier in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued