Madrassas allocation move politically motivated: Raj Thackeray
Nashik: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray on Wednesday termed as "politically motivated" the state government`s decision approving allocation of funds for modernisation of madrassas (Islamic seminaries) in the state.
In a major decision ahead of the assembly elections, Maharashtra Cabinet has approved a proposal by the Minorities department for allocation of Rs 10 crore to modernise madrassas.
"This decision is taken with an eye on forthcoming assembly and general elections...This is an old trick of Congress (to announce doles ahead of elections). However, Muslim community is well aware of the state`s motive to derive political mileage...Congress has lost its credibility," Raj told reporters here.
He was addressing media on the sidelines of a function here to felicitate 12 corporators of his party who got elected in recently held Jalgaon Municipal Corporation election.
Khandesh Vikas Aghadi (KVA), the political outfit formed by former minister and Shiv Sena MLA Suresh Jain, has bagged 33 seats out of total 75 in JMC.
KVA needs five more seats to reach the magic figure of 38 amid speculations that MNS may lend its support to Jain, who is currently in judicial custody in connection with an alleged housing scam.
MNS chief evaded direct reply to the question whether his party would throw its weight behind KVA.
According to Maharashtra government, the decision to allocate funds was taken keeping with the Justice Sachar Committee`s recommendation to bring those studying in madrassas into the mainstream.
Around two lakh students study in madrassas in the state, which has about 3,000 such seminaries.
This year, 200 madrassas will be provided financial assistance, Minorities Development Minister Naseem Khan told reporters in Mumbai earlier in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan