Maha: 50% seats for women in local bodies polls
Pune: Maharashtra government on Monday said it
would reserve 50 per cent of seats for women in the
forthcoming elections to the civic bodies.
"Maharashtra is the first state to increase women`s quota
from 33 per cent to 50 to empower women," Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan said at a convention of Congress workers
from western Maharashtra.
It was important to select right candidates and train
women to take up the responsibility of good governance in
panchayats, zilla parishads and municipalities, he said.
The elections are scheduled at the end of year and in
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times