Maha: 50% seats for women in local bodies polls
Pune: Maharashtra government on Monday said it
would reserve 50 per cent of seats for women in the
forthcoming elections to the civic bodies.
"Maharashtra is the first state to increase women`s quota
from 33 per cent to 50 to empower women," Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan said at a convention of Congress workers
from western Maharashtra.
It was important to select right candidates and train
women to take up the responsibility of good governance in
panchayats, zilla parishads and municipalities, he said.
The elections are scheduled at the end of year and in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown