Maha Assembly adjourned for day over CVC appointment issue
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Assembly was on Tuesday adjourned for the day amid stalled proceedings over the
controversial appointment of P J Thomas as the Chief Vigilance
Commissioner, with BJP members demanding resignation of Chief
Minister Prithviraj Chavan on the issue.
Initially, the Lower House was adjourned for nearly an
hour till the end of the Question Hour, and later when Leader
of Opposition Eknath Khadse rose to speak on the issue through
an adjournment notice.
As soon as Khadse started speaking, Congress members Baba
Siddique, Nilesh Parvekar, Amin Patel and others rushed to
aisle shouting slogans. This was countered by BJP members like
Girish Mahajan and others.
As the members were attempting to gather in the well
below the Speaker`s podium, Chavan, who was present in the
House was seen asking the Congress members to move backwards.
BJP legislator Devendra Phadanvis also rushed asking his
party colleagues not to step into the well.
Amidst noisy scenes, Khadse read out his adjournment
notice seeking clarification from Chavan who was the Minister
of State in PMO when Thomas was appointed.
He also demanded a discussion on the issue in the House.
Earlier, after the House re-assembled following the first
adjournment till the end of the Question Hour, BJP members
shouted slogans demanding resignation of the Chief Minister.
As soon as the House assembled for the day in the
morning, Khadse raised the issue, to which the Speaker Dilip
Walse Patil had said the matter did not pertain to the state
government and hence could not be allowed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why