Maha assembly adjourned over Vidarbha issue
Nagpur: Opposition MLAs supported by some members of the ruling alliance on Wednesday forced adjournment of the Maharashtra assembly for the day over the issue of insufficiency of funds to deal with developmental backlog of Vidarbha region.
Minister for Water Resources Sunil Tatkare claimed in his
detailed reply on the issue that Vidarbha was receiving utmost
attention. Citing statistics, Tatkare said Vidarbha had got
preference in allocation of funds over Marathwada and
Since 2003-04, the state had allocated Rs 45,765 crore
for irrigation and other projects in Vidarbha, the minister
The government was also keen on completion of Gosikhurd
project with the financial support from the Centre, he said.
The project, launched in 1989 with estimated cost of Rs 384
crore, requires further funds for completion.
Earlier, Virendra Jagtap (Congress) and Davendra
Phadanvis (BJP), who initiated the debate on the subject,
alleged that the ruling Congress-NCP alliance had neglected
Vidarbha. Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse alleged
corruption to the tune of Rs 5,000 crore in Gosikhurd project.
The opposition MLAs said the government`s reply had no
concrete assurances, and trooped into the well of the house
Deputy Speaker Vasant Purke, who was in the chair, first
adjourned the house for 30 minutes. But since no order could
be restored when the house resumed, he adjourned the
proceedings for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender