Maha assembly adjourned over Vidarbha issue
Nagpur: Opposition MLAs supported by some members of the ruling alliance on Wednesday forced adjournment of the Maharashtra assembly for the day over the issue of insufficiency of funds to deal with developmental backlog of Vidarbha region.
Minister for Water Resources Sunil Tatkare claimed in his
detailed reply on the issue that Vidarbha was receiving utmost
attention. Citing statistics, Tatkare said Vidarbha had got
preference in allocation of funds over Marathwada and
Since 2003-04, the state had allocated Rs 45,765 crore
for irrigation and other projects in Vidarbha, the minister
The government was also keen on completion of Gosikhurd
project with the financial support from the Centre, he said.
The project, launched in 1989 with estimated cost of Rs 384
crore, requires further funds for completion.
Earlier, Virendra Jagtap (Congress) and Davendra
Phadanvis (BJP), who initiated the debate on the subject,
alleged that the ruling Congress-NCP alliance had neglected
Vidarbha. Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse alleged
corruption to the tune of Rs 5,000 crore in Gosikhurd project.
The opposition MLAs said the government`s reply had no
concrete assurances, and trooped into the well of the house
Deputy Speaker Vasant Purke, who was in the chair, first
adjourned the house for 30 minutes. But since no order could
be restored when the house resumed, he adjourned the
proceedings for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Triple treble: How Usain Bolt stormed to another set of gold medals at Rio Olympics – VIDEO
- Two reward-carrying women Naxals arrested; another surrenders
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Vs Redmi Note 3: Check out the differences
- Attack on American University in Afghanistan leaves 13 dead
- Confirmed! Ranveer Singh to play Khilji in 'Padmavati' opposite Deepika Padukone—Deets inside