Maha Assembly passes Money lending (regulation) Act
Mumbai: The State Assembly on Thursday passed the
Maharashtra Money lending (regulation) Act which aims to
regulate illegal and legal money lending.
Co-operation Minister Harshvardhan Patil said illegal
money lenders will face a five-year jail sentence and Rs
Similarly, authorised money lenders will face one year
imprisonment and Rs 25,000 fine for the first offence of
The punishment will be two years imprisonment and Rs
10,000 fine if found violating rules for the second time, he
The new legislation also prevents a money lender from
transferring land or agriculture land?belonging to the farmers
in his name at any cost, he added.
Patil said the license of 4766 money lenders was renewed
this year and an additional 938 licenses were issued.
So far 5489 illegal money lending complaints have been
received out of which action was being taken on 5478 cases, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir