Maha Assembly passes Money lending (regulation) Act
Mumbai: The State Assembly on Thursday passed the
Maharashtra Money lending (regulation) Act which aims to
regulate illegal and legal money lending.
Co-operation Minister Harshvardhan Patil said illegal
money lenders will face a five-year jail sentence and Rs
Similarly, authorised money lenders will face one year
imprisonment and Rs 25,000 fine for the first offence of
The punishment will be two years imprisonment and Rs
10,000 fine if found violating rules for the second time, he
The new legislation also prevents a money lender from
transferring land or agriculture land?belonging to the farmers
in his name at any cost, he added.
Patil said the license of 4766 money lenders was renewed
this year and an additional 938 licenses were issued.
So far 5489 illegal money lending complaints have been
received out of which action was being taken on 5478 cases, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'