Maha assures stern action in fake enrolment case
Mumbai: Maharashtra Rural Development Minister Jayant Patil on Thursday said stern action would be taken against concerned officials, who forged the number of students in Nanded district to get more government funds.
Addressing a press conference here, he said apart from the students, 3,500 divisions and 4,500 teachers were shown in excess in Zilla Parishad schools in the district.
It has been revealed that schools in Nanded showed bogus enrolment to pocket government grants. The revelation came after a drive conducted by the district collector. The total number of bogus students in the district was put at 1.35 lakh.
Taking a serious view of the matter, the state government has decided to conduct a simultaneous audit of the number of students in schools across the state.
Patil said with a view to increase merit and quality of education in Zilla Parishad schools, a committee has been formed to recommend measures to the government.
He said biometric system for the attendance of students and teachers is being implemented on a pilot basis in six talukas of the six revenue divisions of the state.
Patil said the system will enable to bring teachers from neighbouring villages where they are in excess to schools where there is a shortage of teaching staff.
"Due to shortage of teachers, students` interests should not be harmed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL