Maha assures stern action in fake enrolment case
Mumbai: Maharashtra Rural Development Minister Jayant Patil on Thursday said stern action would be taken against concerned officials, who forged the number of students in Nanded district to get more government funds.
Addressing a press conference here, he said apart from the students, 3,500 divisions and 4,500 teachers were shown in excess in Zilla Parishad schools in the district.
It has been revealed that schools in Nanded showed bogus enrolment to pocket government grants. The revelation came after a drive conducted by the district collector. The total number of bogus students in the district was put at 1.35 lakh.
Taking a serious view of the matter, the state government has decided to conduct a simultaneous audit of the number of students in schools across the state.
Patil said with a view to increase merit and quality of education in Zilla Parishad schools, a committee has been formed to recommend measures to the government.
He said biometric system for the attendance of students and teachers is being implemented on a pilot basis in six talukas of the six revenue divisions of the state.
Patil said the system will enable to bring teachers from neighbouring villages where they are in excess to schools where there is a shortage of teaching staff.
"Due to shortage of teachers, students` interests should not be harmed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- Mulayam, Akhilesh scared of me; not allowing Muslim leaders in SP to speak up, alleges Asaduddin Owaisi