`Maha ATS DCP`s wife now telling a different story`
Mumbai: The Thane police are finding it hard to believe Sushmita Banerjee’s statement stating that the death of Sanjay Banerjee, the former deputy commissioner of police, ATS, was an accident.
While conducting a formal investigation, cops found that after the incident Sushmita had immediately called her family friends and associates.
A senior police official said, “After his wife gave the statement that Banerjee shot himself accidentally, we found that she had called three to four people after the incident informing them about the incident. We have taken statements of the family friends and associates which say that she informed them that he had shot himself at the restaurant. We have registered a case of accidental case. We took the statement of the family members and associates under Section 174 (Non attendance of obedience to an order from public servant) of the Indian Penal Code.”
When asked if they will take any action against Banerjee’s wife for changing her statement, the official said, “Investigations are still on.”
“The DCP’s sons, Arjun and Ashutosh, gave their statement on Saturday. In their statements, they have told the police that it [the shooting] was an accident. While removing his handkerchief, the pistol trigger got pulled. It seems like Sushmita told her children to give such a statement,” said a senior officer.
The police have also taken statements of Sanjay’s father Anilkumar Banerjee and the manager of the hotel Vikas Nimkar. Nimkar asserted that Banerjee shot himself with his pistol.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31