Maha BJP to hold campaign for Patel`s `statue of unity`
Mumbai: The Maharashtra BJP on Wednesday said it has chalked out a series of programmes as a part of its contribution towards the `statue of unity`, to be built in the memory of India`s first Home minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
"Maximum number of people from all walks of life and mainly the youths should join the campaign. I appeal to the people of the state to participate in the campaign," former state party unit chief and MLA Sudhir Mungantiwar told reporters here.
Various types of soil from around 40,000 villages in the state would be collected which would be kept at the memorial site when it will be constructed, he said.
A signature campaign will also be carried out as part of the `Surajya` (good governance) petition, wherein they want to take signatures of around two crore people from the state, Mungantiwar said.
"Appeal would also be made to the leaders of political parties to join the campaign. An invitation in this regard will also be sent to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and other leaders," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened