Maha: Builder sent to two years imprisonment by consumer forum
Thane: In one of a rare decision of its kind,
a builder has been sentenced to two years imprisonment by the
consumers redressal forum here for not complying with its
The convict Kishore P Sawant of Swagat Constructions had
failed to give possession of a flat in his building here to a
couple -- Veena Phatak, and Vijay Phatak -- despite them
having made the necessary payment.
Following this, the duo approached the forum which in
January 2009 ordered Sawant to grant immediate possession of
the flat to the duo.
The body also asked the builder to pay the couple an
interest of nine percent on Rs 11,04,265 (the money paid by
the duo) till they received possession and also give them the
NOC and enrolment in the society.
If Sawant was not not in a position to honour the orders
of the forum he was asked to make a payment of Rs 19,00,000
towards compensation to the couple and in addition to that a
sum of Rs 10,000 towards mental torture, and Rs 5000 towards
As Sawant failed to comply with the forum`s order, the
couple approached the body once again.
Despite being summoned, Sawant remained absent from the
proceedings following which a non-bailable warrant was issued
against him, leading to his arrest.
In the judgement that came last week, forum`s president M
G Rahatgaonkar and member Jyoti concluded that Sawant
deliberately insulted its orders and hence the provisions of
Section 27 of the Consumers Protection Act 1986 needs to be
invoked in this case.
They then awarded him two years imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj